Fulton Street Redevelopment
Archaeological discoveries along New York City's Fulton Street
Liquor bottle seal, circa 1764
New York City's Fulton Street, located within the South Street Seaport district, was a thriving site of trade, shipping, and local markets in the 18th and 19th centuries. The area, a National Register Historic District, was once home to the city's earliest brick marketplace and a network of docks and slips. Since 2005, the New York City Department of Design and Construction (DDC) has been redeveloping the South Street Seaport area, including Fulton Street, to ensure adequate utility supply for the area's growing residential and business community.
Place setting, 40 Fulton Street
Chrysalis has worked with DDC and HAKS Engineering to provide detailed archaeological research, conduct archaeological monitoring and excavation, and ensure the recovery of the Seaport District's historic past throughout the course of the project. Discoveries along Fulton Street have included several 18th and 19th century wells, building foundations that formed part of an 18th century residential property, and the remains of a 19th century print shop, as well as several thousand artifacts. Chrysalis' archaeological findings at Fulton Street and nearby Peck Slip have yielded valuable information about early New York's civic utility planning, construction methodology of wharves and landfill cribbing, the nature of its early shipping industries, and materials common to early New York residents' domestic life.
These infrastructure projects have led Chrysalis to develop a complex of historic plans, and business operations mapping the mercantile and landform expansion of Manhattan along the East River during New York City's surging period of post-colonial economic development.